Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Another Project to Abandon

This will probably be the only post this blog ever sees. I may never even actually publish it. I have a long history of starting things like this, and then effectively abandoning them.

So why bother? Blogs have been around forever, and I've been using the internet forever, but I've never started a personal blog about myself. It always seemed self-indulgent and, frankly, a waste of time. Why would anyone want to read about me? I probably don't want to read about you. However, I think I may have missed the point before. I was always assuming that I would need to write for an audience. I'd need to find a way to consistently frame my life in a way that is funny or insightful or at least interesting. I'm probably better at that then I think I am, but I don't have a lot of faith in my life being interesting enough to need me to share it with the wider world; hence the relative ghost town that is my Facebook wall and Twitter feed.

But I'm not writing this for an audience. I really don't care if nobody reads this, everything here is meant for me. If I keep it up, it will give me an outlet for writing, which I sometimes feel compelled to do. It will also give me a place to spill some thoughts when I feel like I need to get them out of my head, or if I feel it will help me sort something out.

Of course I could do all that just as easily through Google Docs. There's no need to publish it on the internet for everyone to read. Except that maybe there is. While I'm not writing this for anyone else, knowing that there is a chance that someone might actually read it will at least compel me to write in full sentences at all times and fix typos. It might also keep me from posting some things I would write otherwise, but we'll have to see how that goes.

I also believe in being an open book. People who know me personally would probably be shocked to hear that. I'm definitely not the greatest communicator, particularly with people I don't know well. However, that's not because I don't want to be. And I certainly don't hide things; if you look around the internet you can probably quickly find my phone number, job title, or pretty much any other minor detail about my life. I don't restrict my social network profiles, except in cases where I do so to protect others or to protect against potential identity theft.

Anyone who wants to know about me can do so easily without reading whatever barely coherent random thoughts I might share here. However, if you want to know me, this may be the place to go, again assuming I bother to keep it up, which is a rather massive assumption. Also assuming you can stand my long-winded rambling, and likely eclectic topic choices. And lots of commas. And likely many sentences starting with and.

For the record, however, these are some things you probably won't find here:

  • Political commentary: I have another sparsely updated blog for that here, where I'll write occasionally about federal and maybe even provincial politics. Never municipal though; as a City of Toronto employee I'd prefer not to commit my thoughts on municipal politics to the internet.
  • Specifics on my job: I work with children and youth in a literacy program for the Toronto Public Library. While I love my job and I have many great stories from it, respecting the confidentiality of the kids is priority number one. I can't, and won't, risk that.
  • Pictures of me: There are no good pictures of me, anywhere. True story.

No comments:

Post a Comment