Thursday, January 31, 2013

Vegan Challenge Update

Today is the last day of my vegan challenge. Beginning tomorrow, I can eat eggs and dairy again. While I'm looking forward to having the option again, I'm not nearly as excited as I thought I would be.

Honestly, though it was a bit of a nuisance, being vegan was easier than I expected. On a practical level, it's much, much more difficult than being lacto-ovo vegetarian because I found that it was much less obvious what I could and could not eat. I could never be sure if bread was vegan, and restaurants would put cheese in things that I would not expect. When cooking for myself, however, I had little difficulty. I would have had even less difficulty if I had not gotten lazy in the last week or so and limited myself to the same few options over and over.

I also found that I'm feeling much healthier. I'm sure part of this is not consuming any vein-clogging cheese, but I suspect that the significantly increased amount of vegetables I have been consuming plays a role here too. While I'll start eating cheese again, I'm going to try to be a little more moderate in my consumption, and I'm hoping that the increased vegetable consumption will stick. I like feeling healthy. Also, I'm definitely done with drinking milk, or putting it in cereal. Soy milk is more than good enough for me.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do tomorrow to celebrate. I've had my eye on a paneer tikka wrap in the freezer for the past couple of weeks, but as breakfast comes first, I'll probably start with some eggs. I'm also going to a Leafs game this weekend, which means I'll be getting a burrito before the game, and superbowl on Sunday means there will be plenty of cheese pizza.

I still don't see myself being permanently vegan, but I really enjoyed trying it, and I'd definitely consider trying the same challenge next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment