Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Fitbit

Continuing with the living in the future theme, I've been using a Fitbit One tracker for about a week now. I've been using RunKeeper for a while now to log my runs, but this is a whole new level of tracking. For anyone not familiar with Fitbit, it's sort of like a tricked out pedometer. It tracks my steps taken, distance travelled (presumably via steps taken) stairs climbed (via an altimeter) and approximate calories burned. During the night I wear it in a wristband and it tracks how much I wake in the night. The data is then uploaded to my fitbit account automatically via bluetooth whenever I walk past my computer.

Through the website and mobile app I can check how active I've been in all kinds of charts and graphs. I can also use the site and app to track calorie intake. I'm trying that for now, but I'm not sure I'll keep it up. I find myself very frustrated with having to guess so often how many calories are in my food, particularly if I didn't make it myself. I've always been in favour of living active instead of counting calories, but I do like that I have to think about what I'm putting into my body all the time. I think just thinking about it and being aware is a good thing.

The Fitbit itself I don't see myself abandoning. It's very small and discreet, and lasts about a week on a single charge. The syncing happens without me even thinking about it, since I use my computer daily. In general, it's so easy that I don't see any reason not to use it; sheer laziness won't kill this one for me. And I love seeing all the data laid out for me at the end of the day. In fact, I'm seriously considering getting one of their wireless scales to track weight and body fat too, just to build a more complete picture. It's feeding my data addiction and making me healthier at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment