Saturday, March 2, 2013

40 Years Young


I'm a day late on this, but the legendary Pink Floyd album, Dark Side of the Moon, celebrated its fortieth anniversary yesterday. Obviously, I wasn't born until long after the album's release, so I'll spare you the crap about how old it makes me feel that Dark Side of the Moon is 40 (though I was kind of stunned because I remember the 35th anniversary like it was yesterday). No matter when you were born though, I feel that listening to this album front to back is a truly formative experience which everyone should enjoy at least once in their life. In an era where I think most people take a group of singles and put them on shuffle, listening to a single album in order has become somewhat of a novelty. Dark Side of the Moon deserves to be that novelty.

It's actually not my favourite Pink Floyd album (that honour goes to the Wall), but it is still fantastic, and I think a little more accessible to non-Pink Floyd fans. If you've never listened to it, I'd encourage you to change that as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment