Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Goodbye, Old Friend

While I was in Cuba, my parents went out and bought a new car. We had a 2006 Honda Civic, which we got when it was new, but it had been giving us some trouble recently (it was burning oil at an unhealthy rate) and the fix would probably cost more than the car was worth. My dad had been eyeing new cars for about a year now, so I knew this was imminent, but it still came as a bit of a shock to discover that while I was gone, they had ordered a new 2013 Civic. The dealership is having some trouble getting the new car (we drive standard transmission, which is unusal here in Canada) so we don't actually have it yet, but it should be soon.

Unfortunately, that means saying goodbye to my current car. I always thought that guys forming emotional attachments to cars was both stupid, and largely an unfounded stereotype, but I'm actually finding myself surprisingly sad to be saying goodbye.While this technically isn't my car, I drive it more than anyone in my family, and it has been a constant in my life for seven years now. I learned to drive stick in that car (and fell in love with driving standard) and got my full G license in it. I've been on countless roadtrips and late-night coffee runs. I've been on first dates and job interviews, and I've fallen in love and had my heart broken in that car. I've grown up, and built countless memories in that car.

I'm sure the bells and whistles of the new car will soften the blow, and I'll make new memories in the new car, but I'll definitely miss this one. I've had it longer than my current house. Saying goodbye sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment