Saturday, May 25, 2013

The Bar is Set Low

It appears I've finally been deemed worthy of a new web browser on the PC in my office. Until now, I had Internet Explorer 8 and Firefox 3.4. Firefox was so old that many things (including Gmail) flat out refused to load on it, while IE was slow, had formatting issues with a lot of pages, and was beginning to be refused by some websites as well. I now have Firefox 19, which is only two versions behind the actual current release. Two versions may sound like a lot, but around here, to be that close to current seems like a minor miracle. I can now properly read Twitter on my lunch again, without having to dig out my personal laptop. Of course, apparently I still am not worthy of an upgrade from Windows XP, an operating system that was released in 2001. And there's not much I wouldn't give for them to turn on ActiveSync, so that I could actually get my damn email sent to my phone.

It's funny, I know people who work for successful tech and digital publishing companies who are annoyed when their IT department takes a few hours to address their issues. Me? I'm happy when they replace my obsolete browser with an only slightly outdated one.

No comments:

Post a Comment