Friday, June 14, 2013

Driving Me Crazy

I realized the other day that I really hate being a passenger with other drivers. I'm not sure when that started to happen; certainly it was after I started driving, but it's definitely there. I've never told anyone and I don't complain about it, but I also have a hard time relaxing and just letting someone else do the work. Probably the control freak in me acting up.

In some cases I completely understand why it bothers me. My brother is an alright driver, but he's still a little rough with stick shift, and dealing with that distracts him, which occasionally terrifies me. My mom is fully capable of driving stick, and has been doing it for probably around 30 years, but she's also lazy. She often won't drop to a lower gear when she should, and just floors the gas pedal instead. That bugs me, but what makes me even more nervous is the idea that, if she doesn't do that right, what other shortcuts is she taking that I don't notice?

Even with my dad, who is an excellent driver, and other people I trust, I still find myself checking their blind spots and monitoring traffic in neighbouring lanes. I don't even mean to do it, I just can't help myself. In my last relationship I did all the driving, which was probably a good thing because it might have generated a lot of friction if I had to ride with someone on a regular basis. Hopefully my next girlfriend will be happy to let me do most of the driving. It's a good thing that I actually like to drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment