Saturday, July 13, 2013

It's Been Such a Long Time

Wow, it has been an awfully long time since I've posted anything here. I haven't forgotten about it (yet), I've just been ridiculously busy. As I suspected, this summer has been an absolute whirlwind. Here are a few of the things I've been busy with.

I finished my first "semester" of summer courses, and now I'm on to my second. This one looks like a much higher workload, but also potentially much more engaging. I'm optimistic. Mostly though, I'm looking forward to being done. I've only got 17 more weeks of classes, spread over the next five months (not that I'm counting or anything).

I also wrapped up the school-year program at work, and launched the summer program. I've decided that I kind of hate the summer program. It's the same amount of work to launch as the school year, but it's only seven weeks long, making it more stressful and feel like an enormous waste of energy. I know I have to do something all summer to justify getting paid, and there's plenty of demand for the program, it just feels like it could be done better.

I actually registered for the Toronto Waterfront Marathon. I'm definitely doing it, now that they have my money. My long runs are up over a half-marathon length, so I'm confident that I can do it. I've also started moving some of my daily 10k runs outside, as I need to transition my body into running on pavement, and be ready for hills.

I also bought a bike. It's a hybrid between a mountain and road bike, and I love it. It's fast, but it's also durable. I've started to load up on accessories, spending a small fortune at Mountain Equipment Coop, and in two weeks I'm going to cycle to Darlington Provincial Park, camp overnight, and cycle back. It's kind of a dry run for a much longer trip I'm hoping to attempt at the end of the summer, and I'm really excited about that.

Between all the biking and running, I'm actually struggling to keep my weight up, which is new for me. My average calorie burn is approaching 4,000 per day, and eating 4,000 calories without turning to junk food is effectively impossible. I eat until I'm sick, and I still run a deficit. I'm going to have to find new ways to deal with that.

I'm going to try and get back into a more regular posting rhythm here, but I suspect until the end of the semester, my posts will continue to be sporadic. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment